Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique
Easily learn how to apply basic surgical principles and techniques with Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique, 14th Edition. For over 50 years, this highly readable text has been trusted to clearly cover the "nuts and bolts" of surgical techniques in a step-by-step format. Expert authors Nancymarie Phillips and Anita Hornacky emphasize the importance of teamwork throughout, with practical strategies and examples of how cooperation among perioperative caregivers contributes to positive patient care outcomes. With a strong focus on the physiologic, psychologic, and spiritual considerations of perioperative patients, this extensively updated new edition gives you the knowledge you need to plan and implement comprehensive, individualized care.
- Detailed information on the fundamentals of perioperative nursing and surgical technology roles enhance students' understanding of basic surgical principles and techniques.
- Emphasis on teamwork among perioperative caregivers encourages cooperation in attaining positive patient care outcomes.
- In-depth discussions of patients with special needs related to age or health status help students learn how to develop a plan of care tailored to the unique care needs of all patients.
- Focus on the physiologic, psychologic and spiritual considerations of patients gives students the knowledge they need to plan and implement comprehensive, individualized care.
- Vivid high-quality illustrations reflect the latest in perioperative procedures and provide key safety information.
- Coverage of both inpatient and ambulatory procedures highlights key considerations for each settings as well as for individual surgical procedures.
- Chapter outlines with page numbers, chapter objectives, and key terms and definitions help students quickly find important information and focus study time.
- Enhanced TEACH manual and extensive Evolve resources maximize classroom learning.
- Step-by-step coverage of the foundations of surgical techniques enables students to effectively apply basic principles to practice.
- Updated tables and boxes call attention to the most important concepts from the text.
- References highlight the evidence-based practice approach used throughout the text.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Updated evidence-based content reflects the 2019 AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice and covers: recommendations for attire; revisions in sterilization and instrument processing; FDA standards, recalls, and approvals; CDC updated screening data; current technology and instrumentation; prevention and treatment of surgical infection; recommendations for perioperative patient care, documentation, and hand-over; updated surgical facility requirements; and more.
- NEW! Current recommendations for the comprehensive surgical checklist have also been incorporated in the text.
- NEW! Updated practice examination has been added to the perioperative education and learning activities.
- NEW! Explanation of PNDS provides students with a solid understanding of the Perioperative Nursing Data Set.
- NEW! Legal and ethical implications for practice ground students in the importance of proper skill performance and thoughtful decision-making.