Urinalysis and Body Fluids
Safely handle urine and body fluids | Process and analyze them effectively
Here’s a comprehensive and highly visual introduction to the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to safely handle and analyze non-blood body fluids.
The authors’ focused and reader-friendly approach begins with an emphasis on safety; introduces automation in urinalysis and body fluids analysis; and presents the foundational concepts of renal function and urinalysis. Then, step by step, you’ll learn the critical lab procedures for the examination of urine, cerebrospinal fluid, semen, synovial fluid, serous fluid, bronchoalveolar lavage fluid, amniotic fluid, feces, and vaginal secretions.
Build your confidence and practice applying your knowledge with review questions, videos and animations, interactive exercises, and case studies online at FADavis. com. The access code inside new, printed texts unlocks these online tools for course success.
- A clear, reader-friendly writing style
- More than 175 full-color slides of urines and body fluids positioned close to the related text
- Emphasis on laboratory safety, precautions relating to analysis of urine and body fluids, and the importance of quality assessment and management in the urinalysis laboratory
- Coverage of renal physiology and renal function testing
- Comprehensive discussions of the physical, chemical, and microscopic analyses of urine
- Clinical correlations that relate the most common diseases of glomerular, tubular, interstitial, vascular, and hereditary origins to their associated laboratory tests
- Learning features that help students navigate the chapters and apply theory to practice
- “Learning Outcomes” and “Key Terms” at the beginning of each chapter
- “Historical Notes” citing relevant tests that are no longer performed routinely
- “Technical Tips” emphasizing important information for practitioners
- “Procedure” and “Summary” boxes for quick reference and study
- “Study Questions” at the end of each chapter that emulate questions on certification examinations
- “Case Studies" and "Clinical Situations” to promote problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Strong student and instructor ancillaries online—including great procedural videos
- Brand new! Atlas of Urinalysis and Body Fluids
- 139 color slides of urines, common artifacts, and body fluids
- Unique slides of real patients’ mixed field urines which provide additional views
- Descriptions of the cell structure; clinical significance; physical, chemical, and microscopic correlations; and tips for identification.
- New chapters! Urine and Body Fluid Analysis Automation and Bronchoalveolar Lavage Fluid
- New & Updated! Art program featuring new slides and drawings